I know people have trouble liking ferrets, because they think they are stinky, mean, and bite. Ferrets are unique animals, and most people don't have any experiences with them, which makes it hard for these opinions of ferrets to change. If they are trained well, ferrets can be absolutely amazing pets. They are loving, loyal, curious, goofy, playful, and personable, as well as many other great adjectives for wonderful pets.
My two ferrets are amazing examples of this. I never had to scruff (punish) Lilly for biting, so I was especially lucky with her, but my friend's ferret, Lilly's friend, Cleo, was the total opposite. Cleo knew me best, and she never bit me, but her "Dad" was not strict with her, so she bit, and bit hard. I tried all that I could, but after I no longer saw Cleo every day, she continued to be mean because her "Dad" did not take the time to take her out, play with her, and make sure she was good. Lilly was an great little girl! As long as I took her out and played a little bit each day, she was a great pet!
Jake was a bit tougher. He would bite only when we played, but he wouldn't know how hard to bite. I made sure to scruff him to teach him what is appropriate for play. After a month or so, Jake would only bite toys, and if he ever accidentally bit a finger or toe, he would instantly stop and start licking instead.
Now, after having Lilly and Jake for 3 and 4 years, I have not had to scruff them for biting humans, although they will play rough with each other and every so often I will have to give them a little time to calm down if one tries to show dominance over the other.
Litter box training was more difficult again for Jacob, as he didn't conform to the norm, as usual. He doesn't always go to the bathroom in the corners, as almost every ferret does. You can always tell when ferrets are about to go, because they will back up into a corner with their tail up. My dear little Jakey does not always do this, but decides to go in different corners, as well as in front of the litter box, because he is sometimes too lazy to climb into it, but knows enough to go in the area of the box.
Ferrets are extremely intelligent, as well as resilient and will try to get into any place they can fit their heads into, so it is very important to "ferret-proof" a room. This is important to do because they will try to get into every spot they are able, and could possibly get into trouble or stuck in places they shouldn't be. If they have the ability to get somewhere small, they will continue to try to get into that area until it is totally blocked off and they realize they cannot get in it.
Training ferrets takes time, but is so very rewarding if done correctly. If you take time to train them well in the beginning, you will be rewarded for the rest of their lives because you will not have to worry about them acting out or biting and can enjoy all of your time with them as your pets and friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment